Tuesday 30 July 2013

Tell us plainly - why is it not obvious who Jesus is?

Tell us plainly

How long will you keep us in suspense?  If you are the Messiah tell us plainly.”  (John 10:24)

There has always been an uncertainty about who Jesus is.  A confused clarity.  Clarity, because it is obvious he is someone unique.  Confused, because the category of his uniqueness is slippery. 

Albert Einstein: I am enthralled by the luminous figure of the Nazarene....No one can read the Gospels without feeling the actual presence of Jesus. His personality pulsates in every word. No myth is filled with such life.

Napoleon: I know men and I tell you that Jesus Christ is no mere man. Between Him and every other person in the world there is no possible term of comparison. Alexander, Caesar, Charlemagne, and I have founded empires. But on what did we rest the creation of our genius? Upon force. Jesus Christ founded His empire upon love; and at this hour millions of men would die for Him.

I have told you

I did tell you, but you do not believe.  The works I do in my Father’s name testify about me, but you do not believe…”  (John 10:25-26)

The clarity comes from Jesus.  He has told us and he has shown us.  His words and his works point in one direction – that he “…a mere man, claim to be God.”  (John 10:33)  He has not kept it hidden.  He has told us. 

Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty.” (John 6:35)

I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.” (John 10:10)

I am and the Father are one.” (John 10:30)

I am the resurrection and the life.  The one who believes in me will live, even though he die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die.”  (John 11:25-26)

I have shown you

Go…your son will live.”  (John 4:50)

Get up, pick up your mat and walk.  (John 5:8)

…they saw Jesus approaching the boat, walking on the water…”  (John 6:19)

So the man…came home seeing.”  (John 9:7)

The dead man came out.”  (John 11:44)

You do not believe

I did tell you, but you do not believe.  The works I do in my Father’s name testify about me, but you do not believe…”  (John 10:25-26)

Jesus is clear.  His words and his works – what he claims and what he is able to do – show he is God.  The confusion is not from Jesus but in us.  We do not see clearly what is right before our eyes. 

Are you my sheep, listening to my voice?

Spiritually we see through our ears!  “...the sheep listen to his voice…you do not believe because you are not my sheep.  My sheep listen to my voice…  (John 10:3, 26-27).   Jesus has spoken and Jesus has acted but are we listening?  Or are we deaf? 

It means two things when it comes to life.

1. Are we presenting Jesus’ words and actions from the Bible?  He has told us and he has shown us.  Are we showing others?

For what we preach is not ourselves but Jesus Christ…”  (2 Corinthians 4:5)

2. Are we praying that God would unclog our ears so we would see?  Praying to be sheep listening to his voice?


For God, who said ‘Let light shine out of darkness’, has made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of God’s glory displayed in the face of Christ.”  (2 Corinthians 4:6)

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also be interested in

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...