Tuesday 12 May 2015

Shujie Sun's Story

With her permission here's a copy of her notes, from an enormously encouraging interview with Shujie Sun from Sunday May 10th 2015.
  
Tell us a little about yourself - where you grew up, your job now, etc?

I am from China. I was born in a small town in the south of China. My father is a policeman and a  communist.  I went to Shanghai for university and study power system and engineering. In my second year of my master degree I came to Stafford and worked as an intern engineer in Alstom for one year, which is 2007-2008. After that I went back to China Shanghai and continued my degree , I graduated and started my work in Shanghai Alstom since 2009 until 2014. And from 2015 I transferred internally to Alstom Stafford as a power system verification engineer.

How did you become a Christian?

As I mentioned before, from 2007-2008, I worked in Alstom stafford , my Chinese colleague helped me to rent a house , in No10, Glad stone way Beaconside. 
         
On my first day in the office, I meet Two Chinese colleagues , they invited me to Beacon church for bible study afterwork. Because I was a new comer and I wanted to make local friends and practice my English, so I said yes. After I came to the bible study ,I realized that the church was only 5 mins walk from my house, so I decided to attend the bible study regularly. Afterward, I have been invited to attend Alpha course , considering the free meal before the course, I said yes again. 
         
On the first alpha course, I left my address to the reception desk, Geoff found it and shouted around : 'who is living in No 10 Glad stone way? ' I raised up my hand, Geoff looked at me and smiled....it turned out that Geoff and Hazel were my neighbour and the house I staying belonged to Barry. so Geoff and Hazel , Barry and John started to look after us. Because the house was empty when we moved in, so Geoff and Hazel gave us lots stuff such as curtains , quilts, pillows, desk and chairs, and even tools for cleaning the bathroom. I still remember that in a raining morning, Barry and John carried a big wash machine to the house and installed for us. My heart was really warmed and touched by the friendship from church. And soon I meet Kath and Mike, Tony and Laisze and others. They invited chinese students to their home for dinner , helped us for our daily life. That's all happened within one month
          
The alpha course and Chinese bible study helped me to build up the christian knowledge system and humble myself to put away all the engineering and scientisfic things. The testimony from my chinese friends make me think about what if I became a Christian, what kind of good things will happen to me.  And the kindness and friendship from church friends , the joy and peace show through them really make me want to understand  God, whom they believe in. However, it was very struggle for me , first of all , it is difficult for me to understand the gospel by my heart; secondly, my father is communist, and so do I , if I become a christian in UK what will happen after I go back to china?
          
However, God continually work in my life in stafford by answering my every little praying, for example no raining on my way to work, asking strangers to help me carry my heavy bags in a dark and cold night on the street. My heart becomes more and more close to him , until one day, in my office I felt a strong calling in my heart that I should accept Jesus and became Christian. So I followed my heart , on that night I went to Church alpha course , and after the course, Eliane and Geoff led my sinner prayer. At the moment , I knew immediately that I am belong to Him and all my doubts has been put off.  After 6 months I got baptized in Beaconside church on Easter sunday.  Matt and Chris baptized me. Till now, it is already over 7 years ago.   

How does being a Christian change how you think and behaviour in life?  Can you share a situation you have been in that being a Christian has meant you have felt or behaved different

Talking about the my change after become a christian, the most obvious change is knowing that there is only one God created us and the universe; knowing that Jesus's unconditional love to me; knowing  that i am a sinner ; knowing that I need to follow Jesus as an example to love each other. and so on. My behaviour changed little by little , because my parents and my education taught me most of the good behaviour and i was trying hard to follow the traditional morality even i was not a christian. But after I become christian I knew that Good behaviour couldn't make us saved. So I even more strugglling then before in order to be 'good' , coz the holy spirit reveals me time and time about my sin, however, I can always turn my eyes on Jesus and ask for forgiving, gradually I changed( I think...)

There is a situation I want to share , is about knowing 'suffering' . I like to help my friends and strangers, but previously I can not face physical suffering happened to other people, especially the fatal disease. I got lots of sympathy but I can do nothing because I feel hopeless to help them. So I always tried to avoid involving in this kind of situation. After I become a christian and grow mature, I knew that I can always pray for them and ask God for healing. But in my heart I was still struggling about why all this happen? why so much suffering in the world ? Basically I couldn't accept that the 'suffering' part.

Until one of my friends, who is not christian , she came to my church because her mum got lung cancer at very late stage. Her mum is a believer but haven't been baptized , so she wanted us to baptized her mum in the hospital. We did it and  God called me to pray for this dying lady. I was so struggled but finally I obeyed. So for few weeks , everyday I went to hospital afterwork and pray for my friend's mum, sometimes she was nearly dying but because our pray she survied. Until one day in the early morning, it's my turn to stay overnight in the hosptial, and the lady died almost in my arms. It was my first time to face death in my life but I can see how peaceful and beautiful it was. After long time suffering , she finally released.  At that moment the noise hospital hall become so peaceful and quiet , I can fell that the air became solid and  the place were full of glory and joy . And then I realized that it must be God. My experience is very personal ,but I started to realize that everybody can not avoid the suffering on earth, but God give us choice that we can have eternal life. Life on earth are always painful and full of suffering, however, God promised us a glorified future, that's my hope. When I was a young christian I didn't understand that why in Christ we can find hope, but from that moment on, I knew deeply in my heart . Now I am not hopeless anymore , and I have courage and strength to response God's calling. 
 
How does being part of a church encourage your faith and help you?

Worship togther /  Teaching / Fellowship

What could we pray for you?

Pray that I have close relationship with the Lord
Pray for my parent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also be interested in

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...