Sunday 15 March 2015

What is the difference between preaching and teaching?

What is the difference between preaching and teaching?

Twice in quick succession this question has come up.  Once from a very thoughtful individual just beginning a 'preaching career', and then I spontaneously found myself leading a discussion on the exact same topic at a conference for ministers I was attending.  In God's good timings the answer to the first created a great discussion in the second.

It is a question loved by students of preaching!  But I wonder if the question might be wrong. Perhaps its not the question the Bible would ask?  Rather it seems to me the Bible give us a myriad of ways we are invited to present it's truth to people.

For example in Acts 20 alone these five verbs are used:

Anagellos – ‘to good news’.  Creating a verb of ‘good newsing’.  'I have good newsed you.'  From which comes evangelism and evangelist.  Often translated as preach (in v20) and proclaim (in v27).

Dedasko – ‘to teach’ (20). 'I have taught you.'  Giving instruction/ content.  More of a classroom teacher or lecture room professor type image.

Martureo – ‘to bear witness’ (even to the end) (20, 21).  From which we get the word 'Martyr'.  'I have born witness exhaustively.'  It has undertones of resolution and determination.

Kerusso – ‘to herald or preach’ (25).  Preaching the kingdom or heralding the kingdom.  For example the Emperor would send out the heralds to pass on important information before mass communication.  The herald stands on behalf of the Emperor and convenes his heart and will to the people.  'I have heralded the King's heart and will for you.'

Noutheteo – ‘to warn’/ ‘to put in mind’/ ‘to recall’. (v30).  'I have warned you.'  Or 'I have given full warning.'

So instead of asking 'what is the difference between...' perhaps the better question might be 'in this situation which form of communication will be most effective?'  Is it a 'good newsing' moment or a 'teaching' moment?  'A bearing witness even to the end' moment or a 'heralding' moment.

I wonder what you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also be interested in

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...